On March 10th, the first annual Symmys Awards for best palindromes of 2012 will be announced. There are four categories, with 10 finalists in each: Short Palindromes, Long Palindromes, Word-Unit Palindromes, and Poetry.
The panel of judges is a murderer's row of wordplay celebrities:
- Will Shortz of the New York Times Crossword Puzzle
- musical comedy legend Weird Al Yankovic
- comedian, author and palindromist Demetri Martin, whose new book POINT YOUR FACE AT THIS comes out on March 19th
- musician John Flansburgh, half of They Might Be Giants
- comedian Jackie Kashian (Conan, Comedy Central, Nick at Nite) who is also host of popular podcast "The Dork Forest"
- Jack Rosenthal, Pulitzer-winning journalist from the New York Times
- Ben Zimmer, linguist and reporter for the Boston Globe
- Timi Imit of the biggest palindrome website, MockOK.com
-- Jeff Grant, legendary New Zealand palindromist (Word Ways)
The judges have received their ballots and are choosing their winners now. Stay tuned for more details.